Calling 9-1-1

Over 80,000  9-1-1 calls are expected to come in to the Red River Regional Dispatch Center this year.   Many of these calls are not emergencies.   In order for communications operators to most efficiently process emergency and non-emergency calls, callers with emergency situations should call 9-1-1, callers requesting non-emergency assistance should dial the non-emergency number.

Emergencies are situations that require immediate attention from police, fire or ambulance and include:

  • All crimes in progress
  • Major crimes that have just occurred
  • Any call with the potential for injury or death
  • Any medical emergency
  • Any type of fire.

If you are unsure whether the situation is a true emergency, call 911 and let the call-taker determine whether you need emergency help.

When you call 911:

  • Be prepared to answer the call-takers questions which will include the location of the emergency, including the street address and the phone number you are calling from
  • Remember the call takers questions are important to get the right kind of help to you as quickly as possible
  • Follow the call takers instructions and stay on the line until you are told to hang up – the call-taker is trained to help keep you safe and explain how to do first aid while help is on the way.
  • Try to stay as calm as possible
  • If you accidentally call 911, please don’t hang up. The call taker will need to verify if there is an emergency or not. If you hang up they will call you back, and if no one is reached, will possibly send responders to your location.

If you have a non-emergency situation and need responders sent to a location, please call the Red River Regional Dispatch Center non-emergency number   (701) 451-7660.    Some examples of sitautions that may not be emergencies include:

  • Loud parties
  • Parking complaints
  • Barking dogs
  • Stolen checks or credit cards
  • Delayed reporting of crimes such as burglaries and vandalism where the suspect is gone from the scene, no suspects exist and the victim is no longer in danger

Additionally :

  • Calls regarding power outages should be directed to your power company.
  • If you need road condition information, call 511.
  • If you want to find out if someone has been arrested or is in jail, contact the jail.
  • If you need a phone number, please consult phone directory, the internet, or call information
  • If you need informationabout weather conditions or school/business closings, please tune in to your local television, radio or internet sites.

If you do not need an officer sent to your location but need general information, please call the agency directly:

Non-Emergency Numbers

Fargo PD 701-235-4493

Cass County Sheriff’s Office 701-241-5800

Moorhead PD 218-299-5120

Clay County Sheriff’s Office 218-299-5151

West Fargo PD 701-433-5500